Sunday 16 June 2013

To My Father (Seeing my dad through different eyes)

Have you ever been in a conversation about someone in your family, then suddenly start wondering if you're talking about the same person?
Being in a family can sharpen our sense of one another's flaws. We live with these people day in and day out. We see them at their worst. We bear the brunt of their mood swings and emotions. It's easy to become blinded to (or start ignoring) the good qualities they posses. 
Sometimes all it takes are the eyes of an outsider to rediscover the people you thought you knew so well.
Every family has their issues; every child has friction with their parents. God's been working on my heart about some attitudes I've harbored towards my dad. Forgive the upcoming rabbit trail, but I'm leading up to my point in a round about way. Recently, I had a really bad day. I was hormonal and being basically every female stereotype. At the height of my drama, I asked my mom "Don't you wish you had had boys!?" 
She smiled and quietly replied "No." This surprised me. She'd rather have tears, extreme mood swings, and constant drama of dealing with the reality of simply being a girl? She explained:
"Raising boys is hard, because you have to instill within them the knowledge and responsibility that someday they'll have to provide for a family. It's hard to find the balance between encouraging them in their dreams, and the reality that some of those dreams won't support them financially. Many women I've talked to have husbands who hate their jobs, but stay because they know they have to."
"With you, it's easier to support your decision to pursue the arts, because we ultimately want to prepare you to be a homemaker, not a breadwinner." 
(Don't take this the wrong way - my parents know perfectly well that I'm going to have to provide for myself at some point or another, but hopefully not long-term. It's my dream to be a wife someday, above all else)       
My mom's comments started me thinking, and many things made sense, (now we're arriving at the main point!) I've often wondered why my dad stays at job that I know isn't making best use of his talents and abilities. 
He stays out of love. 
Love for me, my mom, and my sister. He is fulfilling his calling as head of our family, our provider. He sacrifices every day for us, (literally) that we have food on the table and clothes on our backs. When people talk to me about my dad, it's always with respect and admiration. That was my second revelation.
People want to be like my dad.
He's likable, respected, outgoing, and entertaining. He's not a afraid to tell it like it is. He pours himself diligently, wholeheartedly into whatever work he does. I've only ever known him within the context of our family. When he's at work, or with friends, there's a side I don't see, but am coming to know.  My love and respect for my dad is growing constantly, and I can say with pride "That's my dad." 
Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.
Star. 
I challenge you: Take a look at the people in your family. Try to see past the quirks that drive you nuts. See them with different eyes; God's eyes. 
What you see may surprise and delight you!    

No comments:

Post a Comment