Sunday 9 June 2013

Breaking Bad (Habits)

Do you ever snack while you're preparing a meal? As the cook, it's a given that you *need* to try the food you're cooking. (sarcasm!) It can be good stuff like veggies, or a spoonful of chili to make sure it's spiced it properly. My problem is that I tend to fill up so much, that when the time comes to eat the meal, I'm stuffed. Everyone else is hungry, so we sit down and eat, but I'm not. But if I don't eat anything, that raises the alarm bells with my parents because of disordered eating in my past. So, I end up eating, which leads to overeating, and feeling terrible. 
The other day God hit me with the realization that by snacking and snacking and snacking, I'm stealing from my actual meal. The true satisfaction I would have from sitting down to a meal, hungry and ready to eat, is incredible in opposition to snacking and leaving the table feeling uncomfortable. Logically, I can wait half an hour so I can sit down and enjoy food with my family.
Now that I've realized what's going on, I can stop myself from snacking so much. . . sometimes. I'm not perfect, and  there are times I ignore the little voice telling me to wait. Identifying the bad habit is half the battle. It's much harder to hide something once there's a spotlight shining on it.
I'm trying to listen to my body more, and pay attention to when I'm full. It's okay to leave my plate half finished, and come back when I'm hungry. I am a work in progress, but with God's help I know I can find balance! 
Blessings!
Star
What are some bad habits God is calling you to release to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment