Monday 16 June 2014

Bittersweet: Nothing ever goes as planned

I walked for the first time in two weeks today.
For the past six months, I've undergone a battery of tests for the egg sized tumor in my foot. X rays,  ultrasound, MRI, and finally a biopsy. I spent five days on bedrest, and a week on crutches.
It's been one of the hardest weeks of my life, so far. I never understood what a privilege it is to go up and down stairs, open a door, or simply walk.
Bitter: I was supposed to receive the diagnosis today. The answer is, they don't know. It is or it isn't cancer. They sent the sample to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota, and it'll be another week before we get the results. My doc's advice is to bring someone for moral support, when the results do come in. If it is cancer, they'll probably have to reconstruct my foot. 
Sweet: walking with no crutches all afternoon
Bitter: having to go back on crutches because my foot started bleeding.
Today has left me emotionally drained.
Best case scenario: the tumor is benign, it gets removed, and I start school in the fall, possibly still recovering a bit. This is the option I'm asking you to pray for.
If it's cancer, the procedure becomes exponentially more complicated. More of the foot tissue has to be removed, skin grafts have to be done, and tests performed, to see if the cancer has spread. My doctor has advised holding off my first payment for school, because I might not be healed enough to go.
To be absolutely clear, the only thing that is definite, is that there's going to be another surgery.
 I'm not borrowing trouble, simply outlining the two possible outcomes, and trying to process it all.  
I'm 18. I'm accepted into the only school I've ever dreamed of going: Rosebud School of the Arts. (hence the blog name) I dance. I run. I hop on one leg to study. I have dreams of being on Broadway.
What am I supposed to do? I have prayed, and been prayed over for healing so many times.
What do I prepare myself for? How hard do I fight to be optimistic? At what point do I let go?
I don't have the answers right now, but I would love your prayers.
Much love,
Star

No comments:

Post a Comment